Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wot on Flash? Updated

shapeimage_1.jpg
We all love Flash right? Its in just about in every web site these days. I know that I can’t live without YouTube or a vast range of other sites. My 5 year old spends a vast majority of her time on the my wife’s iMac on nickjr.com, noggin.com or other kids sites kicking ass on platform games. So imagine the horror when I find out that all these Flash based sites are toast. So Flash is there, its just that none of the Flash based web sites I tried delivered any content. Not determined whether this is a wireless throughput issue or just that the OLPC can’t deal with the load or the graphics.

Will keep you posted. Very bad day in the OLPC ownership world. Not sure how I’m going to explain to a 5 year old that whilst she has her own computer that all her favorite websites are hosed and she cannot watch episodes of The Clangers, Rooarb & Custard and Danger Mouse on YouTube.

If she does not kill me within the first 15 minutes of ownership, I promise to keep you posted on workarounds...

Update 2-Jan-2008

So I hunted around and found the background materials on the OLPC Wiki. Turns out that a Flash player in included, just not Adobe's... following the instructions and install Flash (I used 9048) and I now have Noggin!

No comments: