Wednesday, January 2, 2008

SSIDs and other wireless complications

IMG_7669.jpg
So setting up wireless. Lets say I love the network viewer (see above)


  • You are marked with an a large "X" (from XO)

  • I can see all the access points (circles)

  • The padlock indicates that its secure and need a (WEP/WAP)password

  • How full the circle indicates the strength



Hats off to the team that came up with this. A lot of information that is presented very simply.

Problems? Well... here's what happened next...

  • I first had to turn the SSID on my access point so that it shows up in the display (no shock)

  • Entered the password and then I was good to go (as you would expect)

  • Shutdown the OLPC

  • Turned off the SSID broadcast

  • Restarted the OLPC

  • Could no longer connect to the the Network!



I need to go through this again, but with the SSID being broadcast and the WEP password set, it re-connects first time each time I re-boot. I need to check whether this is a one-off or it just needs the SSID always broadcast. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: