Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Arrival

shapeimage_1.jpg

When I first ready about One Laptop Per Child, I though it a noble effort but seemed like a dream to get a $100 laptop built and delivered. I then read about the “Give one, Get One” program. Its seemed just a great deal, do some philantrophy, help somebody else out who would never get access to this type of technology and get something that the kids would get something from. The obvious question is what does a 5 year old with their own Laptop. Well, what did they need when they were 3 and 4 with my wives desktop system... well nickjr.com and episodes of the “Clangers” dad found on YouTube. Enough said.

So the OLPC arrived today, and I had the pleasure of opening it and setting it up. Not quite the pleasure as opening a product from Apple, but a genuine buzz about what it would look like and how it would perform. There was even flutter or three in my stomach.

First impressions? Well its *tiny*. I mean really tiny. The keyboard is a bit rubbery but will survive a spilt juice and other eating debris. Like the fact the the Antenna ears act as the lock to keep the two halves together. Like it has a carrying handle (like those old Apple Laptops). I even got it hooked up with a 128-bit Hex WAP Key onto my network first time.

Application look cute so far as well. Interface seems to be very simple as well. Not Windows, not OS-X, not Linux flavor of the month.

My daughters birthday is not for another 3 weeks... so I get to play (hee hee hee).

No comments: